Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Breezed By.

Well my darlings, the summer is quickly coming to a close, at least the more relaxing portion is, but I wanted to give you an update on how my goals for the summer panned out. I did in fact accomplish most of what I set out to do, and for the things I did not finish, I certainly gave them a whirl. So here is the list and I hope that you all got to fulfill your wishes for the summer as well. xoxo

1. Sew Aprons.
DSCN1346
DSCN1672
This one took a while, but was certainly the most fulfilling. I made them for three of my sweet friends who just moved into a beautiful blue house together. They made a nice pancake and waffle breakfast the other day for our friends and they wore their aprons, so cute.

2. Go to Labels Frequently.
DSCN1376
DSCN1424

For those of you that live in the Atlanta area who have not heard of Labels and I have not told you about it, I am deeply sorry I have wronged you. I am sorry because this is the best designer consignment shop in Buckhead. I have found so many great things at Labels since I heard about it in January and it is definitely a shop worth exploring. Since going there, my sister has found a pair of Salvatore Ferragamo shoes for next to nothing and I have found a handmade Kimono in the sale section and a Yves Saint Laurent couture gown (which I kick myself for not getting) for a mere $300. Straight from the runway in Paris. Crazy. So these are two of my finds. The top shoes hold a striking resemblance to my beloved Stubbs so I felt obliged to buy them.
Just go. That is all I have to say.

3. Read like Mad.

DSCN0567
Okay. This one I have a good excuse for. I began to read these fantastic classics with every intention of finishing them, but they were just soooo booring. F. Scott has written much better stories than This Side of Paradise. The Great Gatsby I could handle, but other than the ivy league life that awaited Amory Blaine, there were no redeeming qualities in the book to keep me awake. Brave New World, a little too much like all of the other futuristic books written in the first half of the 20th century. It just reeked of thoughts about a dim future and I am already reminded of that in the news as it is. As for you Mr. Joyce, another day my friend, we shall meet another day and I am sure you will not daunt me so. Also in the stack pictured above is the Diving Bell and the Butterfly. That one I liked. The story was compelling and the imagery was fantastic. Bravo, Monsieur Bauby, you are remembered and loved.

4. Learn to play these instruments: Harmonica, guitar, banjo.

harmon
This one I did not take advantage of as much as the others. I did try my hand at the harmonica and can play a mean solo of "Piano Man" and also some bluesy tunes, but that is the extent of it. I didn't learn the other two, but I did find a really cool looking banjo pin in my mom's jewelry box and I consider that an accomplishment in and of itself. This is just a picture of me in Charleston serenading a bird with my harp.

5. Be employed.
DSCN1620

I had the grand opportunity to work at J. Crew this summer. My coworkers were fantastic as was my manager Terry pictured above. He is a perfect example of a refined modern gentleman and I am so honored to be a part of the J. Crew family.

6. Grow Longer Hair by eating peanut butter (protein!).
Well, fortunately even without gorging myself on peanut butter, my hair did grow. Hooray!

7. Take more pictures and make a movie.
DSCN1658
DSCN0948
DSCN0491
DSCN0506
DSCN0421
I did take a LOT of pictures and boy was it fun to take them! I went on loads of adventures with family and friends and I couldn't ask for more. Here are the videos I made this summer and there are more to come so stay tuned!

Well, that concludes the list and I suppose this post concludes the summer. I start my fall classes tomorrow and I am onto a whole new list of goals to accomplish. Here's to starting fresh and accomplishing dreams.

3 comments:

  1. so fun seeing all your summer goals! I love summer and how much time you feel like you have to do crafty things :) I am still working on one summer project that involves hollowing out old books to make various frames, secret boxes, and flower pots out of them! I may steal your apron making gift idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love your blog joanna! and of course i love my apron! i will have to put the pictures up of us wearing them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OHH MYY GAHH. i love that straw hat and matching shoes!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails